HELP! Guidelines/methodology for documenting GUI software needed

Subject: HELP! Guidelines/methodology for documenting GUI software needed
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 14:13:00 +0100

Hello Bob,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Robert Tennant an All am 12.09.96

RT> From: Robert Tennant <Robert -dot- Tennant -at- JPL -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>

RT> Does anyone know if there are guidelines for documenting a
RT> software system
RT> that mostly consists of "information-rich" (i.e., very busy)
RT> screens?

first you should look for a way to influence screen design. If you succeed in
building logical groups of controls you can discuss their function not control
by control but group by group.

RT> The approach I've taken is to put a screen shot into the manual
RT> and then to
RT> carve it up into "fields," describing each field in detail.

Is paper documentation the way to document this? Often it could be much easier
for all sides to switch to online documentation. E.g. you hardly need any
screen shots as the user sees The Real Thing next to the help window.

This way you can reduce your manual significantly. Do some introduction,
present an overview and the principles. Perhaps you should write some
step-by-step procedures for a few standard problems.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-