Re: One (1) question about odd number notation

Subject: Re: One (1) question about odd number notation
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 13:15:00 HST

If it comes from legal documents, specifically contracts, you better check with
your company's attorneys. It may well be *required*, regardless of our
professional concerns about communicating clearly.

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachments thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
From: parksb @ HUACHUCA-EMH7.ARMY.MIL
Date: 09/09/96 09:12:00 AM

As far as where it came from, I think you answered your own question: it
comes from legal documents; more specifically, contracts. (At least this
is what I learned the last time this topic came up.)

IMO, it's ugly and unnecessary. Ax it. 8-)

Bev Parks
parksb -at- huachuca-emh7 -dot- army -dot- mil

= = = = = = =
James Lockard, norton -at- mcs -dot- net, wrote:

I recently started a new project in which I'm supposed to create an
online
version of an employee handbook. One of the issues I'm dealing with is
this
odd sort of number notation I've seen in legal documents where, after
each
number is written out, the numeral appears in parentheses.

For example, the handbook reads something like, "Full-time, regular
employees are granted three (3) personal days each year."

What's up with that? I cannot think of any solid reason for that
technique.
Is there any reason I _should_ keep that system?
<<