List of good TW schools

Subject: List of good TW schools
From: Chuck Beck <cbeck -at- BGNET -dot- BGSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 22:57:19 -0400

I've been thinking about putting in my bit on this subject for awhile now,
but since I've spouted off about my chosen school before, I was hoping
somebody else out there might plug the school instead--another student or
alum maybe. Janet Renze's remark that "graduate school is really what you
make of it" is what prompted me to pipe up now.

I am currently a student (master's degree candidate) at Bowling Green State
University in Bowling Green, Ohio. I originally got involved in the program
because I just happened to be living and working in the area, but since I've
gotten involved in the TW program, I am convinced it has to be in the top
ten percent (at least) of TW programs in the country.

Without going on ad boringum, I will simply sum up my reasons for this
assessment. If anyone would like elaborations, please feel free to contact
me outside this forum. Quite simply, my reasons for feeling that Bowling
Green has one of the better programs:

1. The faculty--all of our faculty members are highly respected in TC
circles, regularly present at major conferences, publish in the major
journals, and best of all, are (or have been) practicing TCers.

2. The curriculum--IMO, a well balanced blend between theory and
hands-on experience. Everyone takes a core curriculum and then develops a
highly individualized cognate (sort of a major within the major). Cognates
range from "environmental" to "governmental" to state-of-the-art computer
oriented and multimedia studies.

3. The students--False modesty precludes me being more expansive on this
particular topic, but I think we have truly top-notch students in our
program. The fact that our student STC chapter won special honors at the
conference in May, and that we had a student who won an STC scholarship, and
another inducted into Sigma Tau Chi, I think more than confirms the quality
of our students.

There now, I've gone and blathered for much longer than I planned to.
Unfortunately, that seems to be one of my particular weaknesses as a TCer.

So, how about it? Can we add Bowling Green State University to the list? If
anybody wants to know more, or wants information on the BGSU URL (or our
student chapter STC page URL), etc., let me know, and like this message,
you'll probably get far more than you wanted or asked for...

Regards to all,
Chuck Beck
cbeck -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu