Re: Re : New Book on SGML (#661895)

Subject: Re: Re : New Book on SGML (#661895)
From: Bill Burns <wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 07:28:52 MDT

10-SEP-1996 07:07:04.57

>Chet Ensign wrote :
>>> For those of you who are interested in learning more about SGML, the first
>>> book of the "Charles F. Goldfarb Series On Open Information Management" has just
>>> been released. The book is "README.1ST: SGML For Writers and Editors" by
>>> Ronald C. Turner, Timothy A. Douglass and Audrey J. Turner and published
>>> by Prentice Hall PTR.

To which Frederic responded:

>I've bought this book in Paris 3 months ago...
>I found it very verbose, and difficult to find out an information into after the first
>reading.
>--

My experience with this text is different. I found it quite accessible. Of course, that
was *after* reading Travis's and Waldt's *The SGML Implementation Guide* and attending
their seminar, so I was probably just relieved to see a text that addressed an audience
composed of programmers and system administrators. (Not to mention that I was so well-steeped
in SGML theory by the seminar's end <grin>that I was dreaming in markup</grin>.)

Bill Burns
Assembly Documentation Supervisor
wburns -at- micron -dot- com