Consulting & Contracting Rate Survey

Subject: Consulting & Contracting Rate Survey
From: Kstle -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 08:35:32 -0400

For those of you who thought we'd never finish:

The Contracting & Independent Consulting Professional
Interest Committee (C&IC PIC) of STC, has the 1996
Rate & Practice Survey available to members of the PIC.

We had 316 responses, from a membership of about
1800. This is a particularly strong sampling -- with a
better percentage of participation than most industry
surveys. Most of the respondents are true independents,
working on a 1099 basis (72% of the time -- of those who
answered this question). That means the figures may be
a bit skewed against working through a contracting house.
(Job Shops)

The news was good -- rates are up in most areas of the
country. The average rate (nationwide -- you'll have to get
the survey for details) for independents was $45.36, and for
subcontractors was $36.32. Things are looking up for
subcontractors -- but I'd like to see the independent rates
coming up a bit.

For more information about this study, or a copy, you must
be a member of the C&IC PIC of STC. To join the PIC, and/or
get a copy of the survey, contact our membership director,
Kat Nagel:

katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net

Copies of the survey will be distributed at the PCOC Conference
(C&IC PIC Workshop) on October 19th, the Region 6 conference
slated for St. Louis on October 31st through November 2nds and
the Region 5 conference in Dallas on November 15th and 16th.
They will also be distributed in the Winter issue of the _Indepenent
Perspective_, the newsletter of the C&IC PIC. That newsletter
should be in your mailboxes sometime in early November.

For additional information, (other than survey copies), please
feel free to contact me.

Karen Steele
Manager, C&IC PIC
Society for Technical Communication

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-