Re: Marketing & Tech wr

Subject: Re: Marketing & Tech wr
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- AIRMAIL -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 21:34:09 +600

I missed the original message but copied this from another:

Penny Staples writes:

>I'm a technical writer for a small engineering company. In addition
>to doing end-user manuals, product specs and requirements, I'm going
>to be responsible for writing and producing some marketing
>literature.

>This kind of thing interests me, but I know nothing about Marketing
>(and we don't have a Marketing department, so I have no one to ask).
>Any suggestions on books or web resources to get me started? Thanks!

I have seen no mention of this book yet, so for a change I'm not
being redundant...so far. The book is "Writing High-Tech Copy That
Sells" by Janice King, published in trade paperback by Wiley, price
$17.95, ISN 0-471-05846-7. Since I don't have Penny's original
message I can't reply to her directly.

King's book is excellent and current. The Adler book that was
mentioned is also excellent but for someone trying to learn
"market-ese" the King book is a must.

Also, if anyone is interested, STC has a marketing PIC at the
national level. They publish a newsletter. I'm sure there is info on
it at the web site.

Penny or anyone else, if you're interested I have a whole slew of web
addresses (URLs) that might be helpful. They may be a bit out of date
(anything more than 6 weeks is suspect), but you can also try
searching Yahoo, Lycos, etc. on the words "marketing" AND
"communication" (that's a boolean "AND") - - - I got hundreds of
hits. That's actually better than the list I have, probably.

Good luck.

Jane Bergen

janeb -at- airmail -dot- net |
or |
janebergen -at- aol -dot- com |

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-