Re[2]: RAID terminology

Subject: Re[2]: RAID terminology
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:34:56 GMT

cjs10 -at- cornell -dot- edu wrote:

> I'm working on a document that describes the benefits of using RAID
> mirroring. I want to say that mirroring provides "live backup" of the >
data on the drive(s) being mirrored.

> Is there a better way of putting that? "Continuing backup"? "Active >
backup"?

I'm not sure that it is any sort of backup in reality. OK, the data is
being stored with more redundancy and more reliably, but if the computer is
stolen, the building is blown up, or someone just overwrites the file, that
data is gone with it.

To describe RAID as a backup is misleading. It is just faster and more
reliable on-line storage.

If the intention is to put a marketing gloss on the idea to sell RAID
mirroring, backup doesn't seem the way to go anyway. Backup is the
Cinderella of computers, and doesn't have RAID's appeal of 'the leading
edge in speed, resilience, reliability and maintainability'.

Oh heck, I sound like a marketing droid now!

Iain

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-