List of Good TW Schools

Subject: List of Good TW Schools
From: Joanne Kegel <joannek -at- SMTPGATE -dot- TAIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:32:27 PST

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996 22:31:53 -0700 Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
wrote: "<SNIP> Did anyone know that STC published a list of schools
offering programs in TW/TC some 4-5 years ago in Technical Communication?
<SNIP>"

Yes, STC *did* publish such a listing (October 1991 in "Intercom"), but
most of the listed schools I checked out only offered certification
programs. No one (at least to my knowledge) has ever made the effort, like
David Hailey, to compile a list of recommended undergraduate and
post-graduate degree programs in technical communications being offered
around the country. This has been my main frustration with wanting to
pursue an advanced degree in technical communications. So *many* colleges
and universities offer certification programs, but many do not seem to feel
that a B.S./B.A. or M.A./M.S. degree is needed. So although 15 seems like a
small number in comparison to the approx. 100 institutions listed by STC,
note that the title of the one-page listing was "Colleges and Universities
Offering Programs in Technical Communication". That word "Programs" has
been stretched in my opinion to make the list appear more informative,
IMHO, than it really was.

Just my $.02 worth on this thread.

Joanne Kegel
Toshiba America Information Systems
Computer Systems Engineering
Irvine, CA, USA
email: jkegel -at- smtpgate -dot- tais -dot- com
It was just a list, no judgements on how good
or bad, but you might want to get the list from STC (I no longer have the
issue of the journal) and compare it to the list you have compiled so far.
If
you have only 15, you are, I think, far short of complete. Of course, out
of
all the programs out there, only 15 may qualify as good.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-