TechWtr: Widows & Orphans

Subject: TechWtr: Widows & Orphans
From: "Margaret L. FalerSweany" <mfsweany -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 11:29:53 -0400

A production editor at Prentice-Hall told me that printers referred to
widows as any single line of text appearing at the bottom of a page--widows
because they lacked a husband. Orphans appear at the top of pages--called
that because they lack parents. On the journal I work on, we simply call
both nonconformist family members and eliminate them.

Strangely enough, while there are several sites
for reading surrounding the visual part of the
brain in the rear of the head, there is no one
place for writing.
--W. H. Calvin, The River that Flows Uphill
Margaret FalerSweany
Rhetoric & Technical Communication
Humanities Department
Michigan Technological University
Houghton, MI 49931
mfsweany -at- mtu -dot- edu

Searchable archives located at
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-