Re: Terms question: capitalize or not?

Subject: Re: Terms question: capitalize or not?
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 11:02:39 +0200

Jane Bergen wrote :

>> The Microsoft Manual of Style does not have these terms and I would
>> like to see if there is a trend for capitalizing them:

>> the Web or the web
>> Browser or browser
>> WWW or www
>> Web site or web site

Jane, though I don't know if there is any recommendation about this in
France, I would capitalize Web and World Wide Web since they are proper
nouns (it refers to a very unique and specific web), and WWW since it's an
acronym.
But browser is a common noun, so I wouldn't capitalize. Same for site.
At least, that's the way these words are always written here.
Note that French-speaking Canadians call the Web "la Toile", which they also
capitalize (funny that in France we keep the English word...).

Frederic Wronecki
France Telecom, Paris, France
mailto : frederic -dot- wronecki -at- francetelecom -dot- fr

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-