Re: Proper webs (was Terms question: capitalize or not?)

Subject: Re: Proper webs (was Terms question: capitalize or not?)
From: Phil Atkinson <phila -at- INTUITIVE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:23:15 +-100

Eric wrote:
> If you capitalize "web" then don't you have to capitalize "radio" too?

Not so. When referring to a radio we often refer to its make, model or we might refer to a broadcast (a radio station or program perhaps). It is the type of radio or broadcast we refer to, not the radio in general. However, in this case, there is only one type of internet and we call it the Internet, and there is only one type of web which we call the Web (or World Wide Web). For the purposes of this discussion, the Web could be called Allen instead, the principal still remains the same. The term is used to uniquely identify a type and as such should be capitalised.

The examples you provided - web page, site, browser, or administrator - do not require capitals. A web page is a page designed for a web (in this case, the Web). When referring to elements of a type in this way, it is often not necessary to identify the specific type in question and therefore a capital is not required.

At the end of the day, whichever method you decide to use, make sure you use it consistently. That is all that really matters.

- Phil :-)

--
Phil Atkinson
phila -at- intuitive -dot- co -dot- uk