Re: Obsession with University Degrees?

Subject: Re: Obsession with University Degrees?
From: David Lettvin <dlettvin -at- POBOX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:13:33 GMT

Penny Staples <pstaples -at- ubiserver -dot- chs -dot- mb -dot- ca> wrote in article
<9609201815 -dot- AA00346 -at- basil -dot- chs -dot- mb -dot- ca>...
> This brings me to a pet peeve: University and college technical
> writing programmes persist in hiring professors who have never
> had to make a living working as writers (at least that's the way
> it works around here). Why is this?

Many technical writing instructors seem to be working from theory rather
than practice. Some of my instructors had never seen the inside of a
cubicle :-S

I met one professor who was touting some of his students for a work-study
program I was trying to establish. He was at first complimented when I said
that I felt that the quality of the instructor was the major contributing
factor to the quality of the students. He was shocked and insulted,
however, when I asked for *his* bibliography.