Re: Professional societies

Subject: Re: Professional societies
From: Steve Fouts <stefou -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 21:56:53 -0800

In article <Pine -dot- A32 -dot- 3 -dot- 91 -dot- 960923114203 -dot- 36024A-100000 -at- psyche -dot- ovid -dot- com>,
Gillian McGarvey <gmcgarv -at- psyche -dot- ovid -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have recently received my predecessor's renewal forms for membership to
> the IEEE and ACM. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who
> is a member of the above societies or STC (or any other related to tech
> communications). Have you found membership helpful and worth the dues? Are
> the member publications such as Intercom useful?

> Thanks in advance,
> Gillian

I am a member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and of
the Special Interest Group (SIG) on Computer/Human Interaction (CHI).
There is a SIG dedicated to Documentation as well (SIG DOC). I have
found that in my position, for my own special pet interests, ACM
and its SIGs a wonderful source of information.

Communications of the ACM is the general publication of the ACM.
It is useful for keeping abreast of general trends in the computing
industry. Intercom is a publication of the Society for Technical
Communication. Since you didn't specifically ask about STC, I won't
elaborate.

ACM SIG DOC publishes a journal that used to be called *. They may
have changed this. The copies of it that I have read have been
very good.

Interactions is the publication of SIG CHI, and it suits my personal
interest in usability and interface design very well.

I know very little about IEEE.

Cheers,
Steve
stefou -at- eskimo -dot- com