Re: Tech Writer Responsibilities

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Responsibilities
From: "Karl A. Hakkarainen" <karlh -at- AUGGIE -dot- AUGMENT-SYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:26:06 -0400

Marketing communications require some different skills. The materials are
used by different audiences for different purposes. Nevertheless, you'd
probably do well to consider the opportunity carefully:

- It may help your company.
- It will help you understand the products and services better, by
distilling the material to the essential items. ("It's fast. It's
cheap. It's good.")
- You will have another skill to add to your resume.

At 08:07 AM 9/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I am curious. Should technical writers, whose normal responsibilities
>are within an IS organization, take offense when asked to write or edit
>marketing type articles and brochures? Is it proper that writers say,
>"I'm a technical writer and only write user manuals! I can't write
>maketing material."

>Apologies if this has been debated by the list recently. I just returned
>to its friendly :) confines.

Karl A. Hakkarainen Technical Documentation Manager
Augment Systems, Inc. 508 392-8626 (voice)
Westford MA 01886 508 392-8636 (fax)
http://www.augment-systems.com/