Re: What's The Name of *#*

Subject: Re: What's The Name of *#*
From: Williams Diane <Williams_Diane -at- DOTE -dot- OSD -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:34:55 -0400

> In my Tech Editing class, we've been given the assignment to find out the
> correct name for the number sign or the pound sign (#). It's *not* called
> the commercial sign anymore, I've been told.

>>Then, Eric said: Commercial sign? _Commercial sign??_
The hell? I've never heard that before. I've heard "hashmark" and
key" (which is what you'll find most often in voice mails) and
but never "commercial sign." How odd.<<

The Webster's New World Dictionary of Media and Communications 91996)
calls it an octothorp, which we have heard before here on TECHWR-L; and
says the pound sign is also called a "hatch" mark (rather than "hash"

Previous by Author: Re: Tech Writer Responsibilities
Next by Author: Re: Speaking of "#"
Previous by Thread: Re: What's The Name of *#*
Next by Thread: Re[2]: What's The Name of *#*

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads