Re: What's The Name of *#*

Subject: Re: What's The Name of *#*
From: Williams Diane <Williams_Diane -at- DOTE -dot- OSD -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:34:55 -0400

> In my Tech Editing class, we've been given the assignment to find out the
> correct name for the number sign or the pound sign (#). It's *not* called
> the commercial sign anymore, I've been told.

>>Then, Eric said: Commercial sign? _Commercial sign??_
The hell? I've never heard that before. I've heard "hashmark" and
"pound
key" (which is what you'll find most often in voice mails) and
tic-tac-toe,
but never "commercial sign." How odd.<<

The Webster's New World Dictionary of Media and Communications 91996)
calls it an octothorp, which we have heard before here on TECHWR-L; and
says the pound sign is also called a "hatch" mark (rather than "hash"
mark).