Re: Use of Periods in Phone Numbers?

Subject: Re: Use of Periods in Phone Numbers?
From: David Somers <David -dot- SOMERS -at- ST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 11:01:51 +0200

Iain said:

<<
Here in the UK, phone numbers are generally written in the form:

01234 567890 for most numbers
or
0161 345 6789 for places where phone numbers are 7 digits.

I thought the area code should be set in parenthesis, but then again things
have probably changed since I left the UK - either that or most people just
ignore the BT specification for setting 'phone numbers.

<<
In France, numbers seem to be written in the style:

45.67.89.23.45

but I don't know exactly how many digits there are, or what they refer to.

All French numbers are 8 digits, unless in Paris where there is an extra '1' at
the start.

After 18 October, however, the numbering system is changing to all 10 digit
numbers (basically, Paris numbers have a '0' in front of the existing numbers,
and all others have '0x' in front of them).

Greetings (from warmish and sunnyish France)

David.