Re: Swivelling Monitors

Subject: Re: Swivelling Monitors
From: Steve Fouts <stefou -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 15:25:49 GMT

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote in article
<01I9ZC6N1JXU001GCZ -at- CORE -dot- Corp -dot- JCI -dot- Com>...
| I need a new monitor and am trying to decide what to get. Has
anyone
| had an experience with the monitors that can be swiveled from
| landscape to portrait orientation?

| Yep, had an old Radius Color Pivot. It's dead now (a transformer, I
think)

[random Radius woes snipped]

| Mine was a 15"; I notice now they're available in larger sizes. That's
good,
| but I wonder if it's good enough?

Radius no longer makes, markets, or supports the Pivot line (or at least
that is what I was told by a salesman.) All of their Pivot style monitors
were 15". They had a monochrome, a gray scale, a "Color LE" and a
"Precision
Color" model. I think the LE was capable of only 256 colors at a fixed
resolution regardless of the amount of VRAM or what video card you had.
They have sold all remaining stock to liquidators, so you'll still see them

for sale at "clearance" prices for a while.

There is a "new kid in town" called Portrait Display Labs that makes a 17"
pivoting monitor. I don't know much about them. The monitor sells for about
a grand and has a 1280 x 1024 max resolution which gives you the same
vertical space as most 21" monitors (which are selling in the grand and a
half to two grand range.)

I'm with Arlen though, on questioning whether or not it is worth the
(potential) hassle.

Steve
stefou -at- eskimo -dot- com