Re: Speaking of "#"

Subject: Re: Speaking of "#"
From: Steve Fouts <stefou -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:59:19 GMT

Eric Haddock <eric -at- engagenet -dot- com> wrote in article
<199609251819 -dot- NAA16094 -at- engagenet -dot- com>...
| What is the name for the hand-written character which is an
abbreviation
| for the ampersand ("&") character?

| Here's an ASCII approximation:

| |
| ---|---
| \ |
| \|

It is my understanding that any character that you use to stand in for the
word "and" is an ampersand. The word, I'm told, is a relic from when it was

included as an appendage to the alphabet, "...W, X, Y, Z, and, per se, &."
The phrase "and, per se, &" is now ampersand.

P.S. my hand written ampersand is a backwards 3 with little lines above
and below.

Steve
stefou -at- eskimo -dot- com