Word and the Concept Virus

Subject: Word and the Concept Virus
From: GERALDINE WHITT <GenWhitt -at- PRODIGY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 02:51:37 -0500

Setting your Word options to "Prompt to save normal.dot" for 6.0
("prompt to save normal template" in Word 7.0) will ensure that the
Concept virus never corrupts your normal template without your
knowledge.

This is set under Tools, Options, on the Save tab.

Twice in the last month, at a client's site, I detected infected
documents that others had opened on my machine, by having this
setting. Word prompts "do you want to save changes to Normal.dot?"
(or some such wording). The answer to that is No. I highly recommend
creating a custom template if you want to change the template at all;
keep Normal.dot as it is.

Of course backups etc. should also be done but the above will prevent
the Concept virus from sneaking in undetected.

Best,

Gen Whitt
Technical Writer
Professional English Services