Large document size in Word

Subject: Large document size in Word
From: GERALDINE WHITT <GenWhitt -at- PRODIGY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 03:02:23 -0500

Recently I have been working with large publications in Word - broken
down into chapters of 20-40 pages in length, and with many graphics
files.

I first convert my graphics files to PCX format. They look just the
same as BMP files but the file size is approximately 10% of BMP file
size. I convert the graphics using Hijaak Pro.

Then I use the includepicture command, as covered in a number of
other posts, to include them in my Word documents.

This works fine. There is one other piece of information that might
be useful to others, though. I had enormous trouble with Word when
switching between programs when I had graphics files included in my
Word documents. WinWord was continually crashing. When I switch on
"field codes" in the View options, this is not a problem at all.

There is also a utility called MasterView, which someone else on this
list told me about, which is useful for linking the documents,
printing, and creating the TOC and Index. Unfortunately I don't
recall where I got it from - it was available free, somewhere on the
Web. Perhaps someone else has this data.

Best,

Gen Whitt
Technical Writer
Professional English Services