Re: Word 7: Is it a hog?

Subject: Re: Word 7: Is it a hog?
From: Wolf Lahti <wduby -at- PACCAR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 07:50:42 -0700

Iain Harrison laments

>What a pity you didn't bother to read the question or check the facts
>before spouting off.

>The question was about the comparison between Word 6 on Win3.1 and Word 7
>on Win95.

I quote from Steve's original post: "The question is: Is Word 7 such a
resource hog that we have to scratch for a Pentium-class machine? Or can we
reasonably hope to use the software on the machines we've got? Money's tight."

It seems to me I addressed the question directly.

>I think that Word 7 is probably the first new release of software that MS
>has released that added virtually no new functions. The difference between
>Word 6 and Word 7 is that the latter works.

>Yes, there are _some_ new features, notably the improved spell checker, but
>clearly this version has NOT been driven by marketing, unless marketing are
>now pushing for reliability rather than added functionality.

Let's see: You say Word 7 has no new functions--and then say it has new
features--as a means of rebutting my statements, yet nothing in my post was
about *new* functions at all. It's nice of you to congratulate Microsoft for
coming up with nothing new, but I can't say that is something I get very
excited about.

>I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but when they actually get something right,
>it's hardly right to berate them for the very failings they've managed to
>avoid this time.

What they've gotten right is managing to convince the consumer to buy a
'new' operating system (that isn't nearly as functional as the 1984 system
that inspired it) that requires the purchase of new applications.

Time will tell whether MS has managed to get their failings right this time.
I say they will do so again with Word 7. They've gotten them right with just
about every other product they've put out. :)

"I hate quotations!" Wolf Lahti
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson Allen, Washington
wduby -at- paccar -dot- com wolf-lahti -at- usa -dot- net