Re: Importing GIFs into FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Importing GIFs into FrameMaker
From: DIGEST Bruce Byfield <byfield -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:38:04 +0800

David Egyes <davide -at- MERCURY -dot- CO -dot- IL> wrote:

> When I import a full screen or a window, it works. Yet when I try to
> import an icon or a button, I get that nasty little gray box. I can't
> view it, it won't print, and when I generate the document as a PDF file,
> those graphics won't appear. I try adjusting the resolution, resizing the
> graphic slightly, even viewing the document in Win 3.1, no dice.

I ran into this problem a few months ago. According to Adobe support,
this problem occurs with several types of graphics formats, and is a bug
that the company is well aware of. I was told that, after importing a
graphic, I should save the file (I renamed it, just to be safe), then close and
reopen it. When I did--lo!--the graphic appeared and printed properly.

Once or twice since, the same graphics have reverted to gray boxes, but
closing and reopening the file always seems to work for me.

Bruce Byfield (byfield -at- direct -dot- ca) Technical Writing
Burnaby, BC, Canada Computing & Training Manuals
(604) 421-7189 On-Line & Paper Documentation