Re: Job-Hopping to increase pay

Subject: Re: Job-Hopping to increase pay
From: Rebecca Phillips <rebecca -at- QRONUS -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:23:50 +-200

Dear Matt and others:

Here, job hopping to increase pay is a way of life. (Although 3 jobs in 2.5 years is
a tad high.) The high-tech industry in Israel has changed so rapidly,
that even people getting raises of 10-20% over the cost of living
increase still find themselves at the bottom of the pay scale. This is true for engineers
as much as technical writers. At my last position I received fine raises each year, but
since the salaries for technical writers practically doubled, I still ended up getting
offers for 150% of my salary. Companies just can't justify giving people 50%
raises, so they end up losing good staff, even though they run surveys every year
and *know* they are paying under the average. The smart companies start giving
perks like a company car, etc, to keep up.

Rebecca M. Phillips
Documentation Manager
Qronus Interactive Ltd.
14 Shabazi Street