Re: Margins of Error

Subject: Re: Margins of Error
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 06:46:16 PDT

>My boss just told me that the printing company messed up and printed our
>manual covers for an upcoming release 1/4 inch too short on both sides (length
>and width). Instead of asking the printing company to reprint the manual
>covers, they want me to change the margins in the manual.

The printers are responsible for delivering material that's up to
snuff. They should discard the screwed-up covers and reprint them
at no charge.

Now your manager wants to incur extra expense by reformatting the
manual to match the damaged covers. Why? Perhaps he's doing
bogus budgeting: rather than having the covers reprinted, he's getting
them at distressed prices. Wasting a salaried person's time doesn't
show up on the budget directly, while saving money on material does.
Thus he'll be a hero in his own mind.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139