Re: Being Happy At Work

Subject: Re: Being Happy At Work
From: "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:47:12 -0800

I emphatically agree with you, Moshe. I would like to take this opportunity
to express my general disgust and disdain for employers and managers
(emphatically EXCLUDING my current ones) with low regard for the happiness
and satisfaction of their workers, be they tech writers or anything else.

Like many others, I have invested a lot of time and effort in my career in
the hopes of earning a good living *and* having a satisfying, rewarding
work life. If I do not get both of these things from a job, I going to be
history sooner than later. My emotional and financial well-being are too
precious for me to spend significant time suffering or being underpaid. If
you think that's unreasonable, irrational, or excessive, frankly, I don't
give a damn.

I heartily encourage tech writers to demand better work conditions, more
money, and more satisfaction from their jobs.With a hot job market and good
skills, it is relatively easy for tech writers to move on when they do not
find what they want in a job.

I want to take this opportunity to let everyone on the list know of an
irreverent web site called Disgruntled, located at the following address:
http://www.disgruntled.com. Check it out. It's for the alienated,
exploited, insecure, downsized worker of the 90's, tech writers included.
Even you hiring managers and personnel types should take a look.

- tgr

>When I posted my remarks on job-hopping, I got an incredibly nasty post from
>one participant. I tried running a similar thread locally and got some rather
>tart remarks from persons who deal in hiring personnel. Apparently the notion
>that a worker has to be happy in his/her job upsets employers greatly!

>I'm not advocating for writers to make a mass exodus from their jobs. However,
>I do know that it certainly doesn't help me work better when a manager takes
>every opportunity to snipe at me in front of others, as was the case back in
>1992-3. I also know that being bored to death doing nothing and being made to
>feel guilty that there isn't enough work doesn't help me, either. Am I wrong
>to want to be content? Apparently so; some people went ballistic at the idea
>that any employee should expect fair financial remuneration and professional
>satisfaction. If you don't have those two things, work becomes hell very
>quickly.

>I'm making over four times the amount I made four years ago, and I'm much
>happier with what I do. I'd call that success, no matter what the detractors
>say.

>- Moshe

"An empty stomach does not listen to logic."

- Italian proverb