Being Happy At Work

Subject: Being Happy At Work
From: alsacien -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:35:15 PDT

When I posted my remarks on job-hopping, I got an incredibly nasty post from
one participant. I tried running a similar thread locally and got some rather
tart remarks from persons who deal in hiring personnel. Apparently the notion
that a worker has to be happy in his/her job upsets employers greatly!

I'm not advocating for writers to make a mass exodus from their jobs. However,
I do know that it certainly doesn't help me work better when a manager takes
every opportunity to snipe at me in front of others, as was the case back in
1992-3. I also know that being bored to death doing nothing and being made to
feel guilty that there isn't enough work doesn't help me, either. Am I wrong
to want to be content? Apparently so; some people went ballistic at the idea
that any employee should expect fair financial remuneration and professional
satisfaction. If you don't have those two things, work becomes hell very
quickly.

I'm making over four times the amount I made four years ago, and I'm much
happier with what I do. I'd call that success, no matter what the detractors
say.

- Moshe