documentation presented on the web

Subject: documentation presented on the web
From: Barbara Ellis <bellis -at- FTP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 13:53:51 EDT

Hi,

I am looking for URLs to sites that present technical documentation for
software products. It would be best if these sites allow anyone (not just
registered customers or users) to access the sites.

I am a technical writer who has been assigned to do a survey of
documentation on the web and evaluate the templates/standards/paradigms
currently used.

Currently the typical audience for our networking products' technical
documentation can include system administrators, network managers,
programmers, and end-users. Most of our task-oriented documentation is
currently presented through online help, although we also ship hard-copy
installation booklets/cards, small introduction manuals, and some
programmers reference manuals. For my purposes the web-docs can be
offered in lieu of - or in addition to - other documentation sources available
to your users.

One of the things that I am interested in looking at is the difference in
presentation for documentation that follows a hard-copy design paradigm
vs an online help design paradigm (or some hybrid of the two) and how the
presentation affects the ease of use for the documentation and (ultimately)
the usability of the product.

You can reply to me privately at the email address shown below. Thanks in
advance for any URLs you can point me to!

Barbara Ellis
Senior Techncial Writer, FTP Software, Inc
bellis -at- ftp -dot- com