TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Automatic Word to HTML conversion tool -- beta available for download
Subject:Automatic Word to HTML conversion tool -- beta available for download From:Helena Homewood <Solnsoft -at- AOL -dot- COM> Date:Mon, 14 Oct 1996 23:23:30 -0400
We are currently seeking beta testers for our new automatic Word to HTML
conversion tool, WordToWeb. You can download a free beta copy of
WordToWeb from http://www.solutionsoft.com.
WordToWeb is an add-in to Microsoft Word 7.0 which fully automates the
conversion of Word documents to complete HTML publications using a
Key features in the current beta version include:
* Automatically converts Word documents to HTML and embedded Word
graphics to GIFs.
* Optionally breaks long Word documents into a linked series of HTML
pages, according to your specifications.
* Converts multiple Word documents and links the resulting HTML pages
into a single publication.
* Supports HTML 3.0 tables, including border and background colors, and
table width and spacing.
* Automatically creates a global and local table of contents (TOC).
* Automatically creates an online index based on existing index entries in
* Automatically applies HTML document formatting such as background
color or graphic, and horizontal line (rule) style to all pages in your
* Can add navigation buttons, custom HTML code, and a signature with
e-mail address and last modified date to pages.
* Can automatically create cross reference links to related information
by analyzing the index entries in documents.
* Can set up frames to make it easy for the reader to browse through long
* Can automatically create thumbnail or "caption" links to large
* Can import and convert any document format supported by Microsoft Word
(including WordPerfect, RTF, Macintosh formats, etc.).
WordToWeb is ideal for moving legacy documentation to the web/intranets or
creating and maintaining a single source for both HTML and paper documents..
Additional capabilities will be added before the commercial release of
the product based on feedback from our beta testers. If you are interested in
documents to HTML, please download the beta from http://www.solutionsoft.com
and take a look.
Any feedback or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
helena -at- solutionsoft -dot- com