RE: Writing for translation [comment]

Subject: RE: Writing for translation [comment]
From: Richard Higgins/リチャード・ヒギンズ <r -dot- e -dot- h -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:58:20 -0700

Kazumi Tsuruta wrote:

> such as last minute changes and severe deadlines. I am interested in how
> you communicate translators when you have to make translation version
> before you finish the English version. (Translalators have to start their
> job with incomplete English draft, don't they?)

Hi, Kazumi. I do the same thing you do, only in the opposite direction. I
translate manuals into English from Japanese. While I cannot offer a
solution to your *nayami* here, I can commiserate with you. I often get
what I think are complete final draft manuscripts from the Japanese
company, only to find out when the reviews come back that they have made
some major additions or changes which may or may not throw off our printing
schedule. We speak with Japan regularly to find out about unforeseen
changes or additions, but it still happens. I think it is just one of those
unpleasantries we have to tolerate in this business.

Anyone else have any comments?

Regards,

Richard Higgins
technical translator