Ready for the Glue Factory

Subject: Ready for the Glue Factory
From: Moshe <alsacien -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 23:31:18 GMT

When I read the remark about people 45 or over, I was glad that I delete
most of the mail I get. I really don't have the time to read it; I'm too busy.

I thought that it was only my father, who is 71 himself, who spoke as if I
were ready for an old age home because I'm 44. Now I see that his opinion is
common. Guess I'll just have to look for some hair dye to dye my hair white
and some wrinkle cream -- to create some wrinkles. I'm not willing to part
with my teeth yet, but I can learn to walk with a cane if it makes people happy.

Needless to say, I'm not taking any of this seriously. It's not worth it. I
did have one company that wanted a documentation manager ask the agency that
referred me, "Don't you have someone younger?" Unfortunate error; the
manager to whom they were speaking was a year older than I was! I also
interviewed in a company in which the manager of the department is older
than I am; the personnel manager warned me that it was very difficult to
work with someone "so old" because he was so "set in his ways." I could have
told her that I've seen children who are the same. I have at least two of my
five who would qualify.

How did a friend say it? You're as old as the person you're feeling --
something or other.

- Moshe