Ageism

Subject: Ageism
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 19:06:00 EST

I noticed with interest an exchange of postings about one person's opinion
that (paraphrased) those over 45 are rather stodgy and computer illiterate.
A respondent indignantly replied that he was well over 45, thank you, and
well acquainted with computer technology.

Point taken. However, I have to say that while I've learned not to make
unwarranted assumptions on the basis of age (I once knew a man in a pattern
design shop who was pushing retirement age when he _started_ doing
computer-based design and was soon one of the state's authorities on the
software), nonetheless I think most of us would agree that there is a
positive correlation in the business world between age and the reluctance to
embrace and learn the newest technologies. I, myself, am 40 and quite
computer literate, yet I still sometimes yearn for the old card catalogs at
the library.

This is especially prevalent among managers, I think, and especially among
higher management that never had to master much technology to do their jobs
anyway. But I do find that most people regardless of age come up to speed
rather quickly once they're convinced that the technology is beneficial. So
although I see the same trends the first writer did, I have to say that it's
mostly due to the perception of need, not the congealing of brain cells.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support