Ageism

Subject: Ageism
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:38:00 -0600

I think most of us would agree that there is a positive correlation
in the business world between age and the reluctance to embrace and
learn the newest technologies.

While it's possible this is true, like you I think the more basic
correlation is between mental attitude and age, and that the age factor
correlation is merely a phantom extension of this root cause. I've tried to
teach too many twenty-somethings about computers to believe age is truly
significant. Some people *become* hidebound, true; others are born that
way.

I, myself, am 40 and quite computer literate, yet I still sometimes
yearn for the old card catalogs at the library.

I do, too, but not for any technophobic reason. I miss the serendipity.
While scanning for card entries about I subject I've often come across
references to a completely unrelated subject, which I've made note of and
come back to later to browse, often finding fascinating information. The
new electronic catalogs greatly reduce the possibility of such
serendipitous learning, and I miss it.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224