Word Masterdoc problems

Subject: Word Masterdoc problems
From: Janet Valade <jvalade -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:01:02 -0700

Folks,

I have heard a lot of talk on this list about problems with the master
document feature of Word. I would like more specific information about
what the exact problems are. What exactly are the problems?

I have a document almost 500 pages in a master document. I used a
master document because I wanted a complete table of contents at the
beginning of the book and a table of contents also at the beginning of
each chapter. The main table of contents includes additional heading
styles that are not in the chapter table of contents. I could seem to
get that to happen without using the master document feature.

Anyway, things seem mostly okay. When I added the last two chapters, I
had a little trouble. The document lost its pagination a couple of
times. I had to rerun the toc for each chapter to repaginate. Also,
the cross references had to be updated individually in the master doc;
otherwise they had the wrong pages--the pages representing their
location in the chapter, not in the book as a whole. Are these
problems the ones the warnings refer to? Or are there more serious
problems that I haven't encountered? My book is pretty simple. No
graphics or tables. Only a few crossreferences and those are only
within chapters.

Janet Valade
jvalade -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com