Re: Win95 Bitmaps & Dithering

Subject: Re: Win95 Bitmaps & Dithering
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:13:05 -0500

Henning Bertram wrote:

> Enter Win95. Here, it appears, MS has decided not to use a solid color
> for a few of the items in a windows -- amongst others, the slide area
> on a scrollbar and a disabled button. They use a pattern. This cannot
> be changed.

> And it it does give us a lot of problems. Under a lot of
> circumstances, this pattern will cause not-very-nice dithering in the
> printed matter (like, you kno,w huge areas with a checkered pattern).
> And you are not always able to guess before the final printout where
> the problems will be.

We have this problem, too, but we use the "new shell" for Windows NT
3.51 (it looks and feels like '95). We started using an HP 5 which
allowed that problem to go away. Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't
created (and won't create) an HP 5 driver for NT 3.51. We're just going
to have to deal with it until we upgrade to NT 4 (we haven't because
changeing operating systems in the middle of a development effort is bad
karma).

Chris

--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer