Relevance of Java to TWers?

Subject: Relevance of Java to TWers?
From: Chuck Beck <cbeck -at- BGNET -dot- BGSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:15:23 -0400

Esteemed colleagues:

In preparing to do a presentation at an upcoming STC regional conference, I
am grappling with the question of how Java is likely to impact on our lives
and careers as technical communicators.

This presentation will be a basic overview of what Java and JavaScript are,
give some current examples of how they are being used on the WWW, and throw
out some thoughts about how this new techology will likely affect us,
specifically, as technical communicators.

I have some ideas of my own, but it occurred to me that this presentation
would be even more effective if I could offer insights others may be able to
offer. I would appreciate any thoughts any of you would care to share with
me (especially if you have any personal experience with Java or JavaScript),
and I will be more than happy to give public credit where credit is due, if
I use your input as part of the presentation.

Please respond privately. If there is enough commentary generated and
interest in seeing them posted, I will be happy to post a summary to the list.

TIA,
Chuck Beck
cbeck -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu