Re: acceptable error rates

Subject: Re: acceptable error rates
From: msechelski -at- HOU -dot- SPERRY-SUN -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:43:07 -0500

Russ Shade wrote...

<Our company is presently developing
<a list of goals for our tech writers. One
<area that they would like to have better
<defined is the industry standard for the
<acceptable rate of typographical errors in
<a document.

With spell checking, editing, and proofreading,
your typos should fall off quite a bit. So
why do you want to measure this aspect?

Your goal should be zero typos, no matter
what the industry standard is (if there is one).
If some slip by, well just do better next time.
If however, your documents are FULL of typos (and
that should be obvious), then instead of counting
them to see if you're within the norm, why not
check your process to see how you can improve.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, use your
time and resources to proof for errors, not
count how many there are...there, is that better?

Mike Sechelski
msechelski -at- hou -dot- sperry-sun -dot- com