... vs. colon (Was Brit/US colon-vs-semicolon) -Reply

Subject: ... vs. colon (Was Brit/US colon-vs-semicolon) -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:43:41 -0800

>For example, I have seen this very often on my company's web pages
and on others as well:

>Blah blah blah and here are the exciting features of this game... a.
it has this b. it offers that. etc.

Your three stops are collectively known as an ellipsis, and your
dictionary and style manuals should give you lots to check out. The
ellipsis, a sign indicating omission, is incorrectly (that is,
ignorantly) used in your example. The person who used it should have
his or her writer's license taken away.

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
San Diego, California