Microsoft Style Guide

Subject: Microsoft Style Guide
From: "Dennis V. Callaghan" <dcallaghan -at- SUNGARD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:24:01 EST

Colleagues,

I just received a brochure, as I'm sure many of you out there did as
well, listing a number of books available in technical writing and
other related topics. One of these is the "Microsoft Manual of Style
for Technical Publications". I have seen this book referenced on this
list before. My question is, has it become the definitive style guide
for software/computer documentation, similar to the AP style book for
journalists? Is there a movement within the field to make it as such?
Hiring managers, is knowledge of Microsoft style something you look
for in applicants? Furthermore, is it worth $25 for my own personal
copy or does it cover mostly common sense grammatical stuff?

Any advice any of you can share would be appreciated. I'd also like to
hear from people who's departments have their own style guides, either
based on Microsoft's or totally distinct from it. Thanks.

- Dennis Callaghan
SunGard Capital Markets Inc.
Philadelphia, Pa.
dcallaghan -at- sungard -dot- com