Re: Killer Language -Reply

Subject: Re: Killer Language -Reply
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:04:39 -0600

Whenever I hear the word "abort," I can't not think about abortion. No
matter what the context is I can't help myself.
To me, anything with "abort" in it has a negative connotation even if
the action itself is merely a computer sort. My sensitivity to this is in
the minority I know, but especially if you're American (because this is
such an issue here) I think it's something worth thinking about since
everyone who reads a manual is probably aware enough of the world outside
the office to be affected or have an opinion or be susceptible to the hot
button that issue represents. It's a word choice that flirts with danger.

It doesn't matter what your stance on that issue is, even being reminded
of it can be negative.

Eric Haddock ------ http://www2.corenet.net/moonlion (updated 10.27.96)
Technical writer
Engage Networks, Inc. ----- http://www.engagenet.com
in the Historic Third Ward of Milwaukee, WI

There is but one process truly worth documenting: Chocolate