Printing Blowups from Ms Word Files

Subject: Printing Blowups from Ms Word Files
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:44:20 -0800

Colleagues,

Please forgive me if you get this twice. I sent it to techwr-l and
copyediting-l to give broader coverage.

Last Friday we ran into a curious problem. The local Kinko's had previously
blown up a series of 6 Word tables to 18 x 24 inch prints. Friday we
revised the tables and took the disk back to Kinko's for them to do the job
a second time. They promised completion in 2 hours. Then 4 hours. Then 6
hours. Then 7 hours. When I went back to pick up the copies, they still
were scratching their heads and trying to get the nice little tables to blow
up. They finally handed the disk back and said they couldn't do it.

These were for our CEO, who was two shades beyond livid by the time we
informed him he was SOL with Kinko's.

Unfortunately the tables were supposed to be used in a meeting Monday
morning.

Now my question. Does anyone have the foggiest idea how the files could be
blown up to print 18 x 24 one time and the same files could not be blown up
the second? IO? Software glitch?

Now, is there an easy way to accomplish this task in Word? Would Excel or
Powerpoint files blow up more readily? We will be doing this task
periodically, so we really need to find a fix for the CEO.

Please respond by e-mail unless you feel the answer is of enough interest to
the list to warrant burning bandwidth.

Thanks in advance--even if the response is negative.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com