Re: Printing Blowups from Ms Word Files

Subject: Re: Printing Blowups from Ms Word Files
From: Janet Renze <jrenze -at- CGN -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:36:22 -0600

------Last Friday we ran into a curious problem. The local Kinko's had previously
blown up a series of 6 Word tables to 18 x 24 inch prints. Friday we
revised the tables and took the disk back to Kinko's for them to do the job
a second time. They promised completion in 2 hours. Then 4 hours. Then 6
hours. Then 7 hours. When I went back to pick up the copies, they still
were scratching their heads and trying to get the nice little tables to blow
up. They finally handed the disk back and said they couldn't do it.-----------------

I just hired a person from Kinko's to be a tech writer (he had a brand-new
BA in English) and his response to this was

_It's all who you know._

some Kinko's (or insert name of local copy shop) employees are
very good at what they do and play around with the machines and settings
to get jobs to work. others are just don't care or don't want to learn. thus
your job gets the shaft. plain and simple!

unfortunately, I've had similar experiences with Kinko's here--you just have
to find a person who can do what you need, ask for them by name in the
future, and pray they don't bail immediately....

hang in there!
Janet Renze
jrenze -at- cgn -dot- org