Jobs in Western Michigan

Subject: Jobs in Western Michigan
From: Dan McGavin <dmcgavin -at- DAVENPORT -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:47:02 -0500

Hello all,

As a new person on the list, let me introduce myself.

My name is Dan McGavin. I am a fifty one year old teacher, writer,
college administrator, and student. I have taught writing for 27 years at
the same college, I have written the college catalog and worked on many
smaller pieces for not-for-profit enterprises, currently employed as the
Director of Curriculum and Technology for Davenport College (the largest
private college in Michigan) and am finishing my dissertation and will
graduate (finally) with a PhD (yes, it certainly is piled higher...) in Rhetoric
and Technical Communication from Michigan Technological University.
My Masters is in English.

I am fortunate enough to be the companion to another teacher/technical
writer: Carol Brown. She has done work for Unisys, Davenport College,
various Grant Proposals. She is finishing her dissertation on Rhetoric
and Technical Communication this year, and will graduate from MTU with
a PhD. She is currently teaching a class in Multiculturalism, part time at
Hope College, but will be unemployed in December.

Carol is looking for contract work in the Western Michigan area (even
Chicago, as it is only two hours away by car) She is in the process of
networking as much as possible, and has made contacts at Herman
Miller, Steel Case, Hayworth, along with some temp agencies.

Here are some questions for anyone out there:

Does anyone know if there are contract jobs in these areas: Zeeland,
Holland, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, St. Joseph, Benton Harbor,
Chicago area?

Is it true that budgets are usually made for this kind of work before
January 1, and that plans to hire new contract writers will materialize (if
they do) after January?

Does anyone know any names of people or companies that might led to
jobs? Even temporary and small jobs?

Thanks for any response.

Dan McGavin
"It is complicated but easy to intellectualize about problems; it is simple
but difficult to do something about them." Abraham Low