Re: Give Clients Softcopy?

Subject: Re: Give Clients Softcopy?
From: "Higgins, Lisa R." <eilrh -at- EXCHANGE -dot- WCC -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:02:00 -0500

Pete Holman said:

>The writers at our software company sometimes are asked to write custom=20
>documentation for our clients. The vice-president in charge of custom=20
>projects wants to provide clients with the softcopy source files.

>Is this something that is a commom practice? We, as writers, do not want to
>provide the source files. Can any of you help back us up with reasons not to
>provide source, or experiences you've had with providing it?

Why not? If the clients are paying for custom documentation, they should
receive the source files, IMO. When I do a contract project, I wouldn't
dream of not providing my client with soft copies of anything they paid
me to do.

If this is a liability issue, you should somehow ensure that it's clear
exactly what version you provided, and that you can't be responsible for
doing further work on a document that the client has altered in any way.

If it makes you feel any better, if you don't provide the source, you'll
be expected to maintain this documentation for life, which is NOT a good
idea on a custom project, usually.

Lisa.
(eilrh -at- exchange -dot- wcc -dot- lucent -dot- com)