OFF-TOPIC: Telecommuting freelancers

Subject: OFF-TOPIC: Telecommuting freelancers
From: "Higgins, Lisa R." <eilrh -at- EXCHANGE -dot- WCC -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 11:40:00 -0500

This is off-topic, somewhat, but a lot of us are doing "freelance" and
contract work, and I think it's important that we are all aware of the
distinctions between a truly freelance contractor and a regular
employee. These are laid out in a 20-point checklist by the IRS. In a
nutshell, if your client tells you anything more than what they want,
when, and what they will pay for it, you're an EMPLOYEE of that company
and are consequently due all of the benefits inherent to that.

If someone is telling you where, when, how, or what to wear while you're
working, you're an employee of that company. A freelance contractor is
given a discrete assignment and paid for the end product. Contracting
shops simply take on their client companies' responsibilities as
employers.

If anyone would like more information, please feel free to email me at
home at lisarea -at- netcom -dot- com, and I'll pass on what information I have.

Lisa Higgins.
eilrh -at- ei -dot- lucent -dot- com