Re: Re[2]: Killer -Reply

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Killer -Reply
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:05:48 -0800

At 03:08 PM 11/13/96 -0600, you wrote:
> I can honestly say I've never heard "abend" in my whole life. If I ever
>encountered it in a manual, I'd have to go reaching for the dictionary
>probably (if I couldn't figure it out by context but even then I'd have
>doubts).

"Abend" has been around for what seems like centuries but has fallen out of common usage lately. The term was created by combining "abnormal" and "end" and was used frequently in messages on mainframes.

Because of its technical nature, I would not use the term for a non-technical audience.

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
kjolberg -at- msn -dot- com
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com
s -dot- othoudt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net