Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 12 Nov 1996 to 13 Nov 1996

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 12 Nov 1996 to 13 Nov 1996
From: Amos Jessup <jessup -at- VISICOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:23:42 -0800

ep*o*nym (Rp2ú-n¾m1) n. 1. A person whose name is or is thought to be th
source of the name of something, such as a city, country, or era. For
example, Romulus is the eponym of Rome. 2. Medicine A name of a drug,
structure, or disease based on or derived from the name of a person.
[ French éponyme from Greek epÅnumos named after epi- epi- onoma, onuma name;

From thje American Heritage On-Line Dictionary (CD-ROM)

Amos

Ze question is:
> I'm searching for a word that means "the thing you're
> named after." Not namesake--that's the other way
> around. This would be like: the State of Indiana was
> Indiana Jones' ______________.

The French word is "eponyme". I don't know the English equivalent.
<<<<

Amos H. Jessup
jessup -at- visicom -dot- com
"Creativity...is imagination in pursuit of excellence".