Re: Techwriting, marketing, engineering (#735454)

Subject: Re: Techwriting, marketing, engineering (#735454)
From: Mike Markley <mmarkley -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:24:35 MST

Mark L. Levinson wrote:

>When the company gets big enough...control over innovation passes to
>marketing, meaning that evolution replaces revolution.

>...marketers get to do the high-visibility, enjoyable writing-- often
>for good pay...and often with no qualifications--while many of us who
>are often underpaid and overbossed could do the same thing better.

<facetious zone>

Back when I had no qualifications, I worked in marketing. And yes, we
often discussed our strategy for lowering our performance standards
to achieve world mediocrity. It's a goal shared by all marketing people.

If a tech writer is bothered by those highly-paid, under-qualified,
glory-hogging marketing writers, then they should follow Daffy Duck's
(or was it Bugs'?) timeless advice: "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
They should go out there and get a job in marketing, especially if they
can do a better job than the people curently holding those positions.

</facetious zone>

jestingly,

Mike Markley

P.S. I really don't believe that "introvert" and "good writer" are synonomous,
and I *know* that "extrovert" and "marketing writer" are not. Don't let these
two generalizations skew your judgement on writing and marketing.

Mike Markley
Technical Writer
mmarkley -at- micron -dot- com