Re: Documenting a Programming Language. WAS:Syntax Diagrams

Subject: Re: Documenting a Programming Language. WAS:Syntax Diagrams
From: Peter Gold <pgold -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 07:57:59 -0800

[snipped]

I never did this myself, but I recall a discussion of syntax diagram
models a friend of mine presented some time back. There's something like
a "railroad" diagram and another form of notation that I can't recall the
name of.

Both are ascii text, but one is sort of graphic about options and
branches, as, for example:

( all
SELECT ( * FROM
( fieldname1, fieldname2, ... fieldnamen

etc.

and the other is more linear as:

SELECT all | * | fieldname1, fieldname2, ... fieldnamen FROM etc.

Hope this helps.

Peter Gold