Correct Wording--twist in subject

Subject: Correct Wording--twist in subject
From: "Hamilton, Susan" <shamilton -at- METASOLV -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:59:37 -0600

I realize I'm a little behind on this discussion, but I just got this
thread about correct wording for examples.

>Is it correct that we generally shouldn't use abbreviations like "e.g."
>and "i.e." in order to avoid giving the user any extraneaous terms that
>cause the reader to process more info than they must already?...

Am I the only one who has noticed that almost every person who responded
had *the* correct way to write the example. "You should do...This is how
you do..." I didn't even agree with several of the responses, which I
think were grammatically incorrect.

If I try hard enough, I can find several acceptable ways to write almost
everything (barring a few instances where there is a definite right and
wrong way). And for someone to respond with the implications that their
solution is the best and only way to do something seems a little out of
place in a profession that is far from being an exact science.

I like the discussions on this list, and I find a lot of helpful
information on a wide variety of subjects; there are a ton of very
knowledgeable and experienced tech writers out there. I apologize if
I've offended anyone, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Susan Hamilton