Correct wording -- caps in file names

Subject: Correct wording -- caps in file names
From: Gillian Mcgarvey <Gillian_McGarvey -at- OVID -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:55:44 -0400

To: Techwr-l @ listserv.okstate.edu
cc:

Hi Walter,
I'm glad you brought this up. I originally had all caps for the file
names in this manual, but Support advised me to take them out bc this
is a UNIX System Administrator manual. UNIX is case-sensitive and
these file names must be in lower case.

A topic about how to refer to file names did float around the list
within the past months, I'm sure. I would venture that it is most
important to be accurate and consistent.
Gillian

Walter L. Bazzini wrote:

>> "Below admin.ini are the Group INI files which are named by the
group, for example, staff.grp and library.grp." <<

While we're more or less on the subject, is there a globally accepted,
correct, set in stone convention for setting in text the names of
files? I typically use all caps (CONFIG.SYS), and a different font from
the body text. But nowadays -- I guess all days, in Macintosh Land --
with long file names (filenames) and mixed case, am I just showing my
age?

--Walter L. Bazzini
73300 -dot- 111 -at- compuserve -dot- com